I just finished quilting the “Freeze Frame” quilt that some of us made with Judy Laquidara as part of her “Quilt for an Hour” project in 2009.
I practised and practised my free motion meandering on my domestic sewing machine until it looked right to me, and then I just jumped in and did it. It was very scary! I kept thinking — what if I ruin this quilt top? It’s one of my favourites, and it’s a gift for my father-in-law.
Here’s one of my practice samples with scrap muslin and batting:
And here is the quilting on the quilt top.
It was a lot more difficult to manoeuvre a large project than my small practice samples, and I can see some places where I made errors and some of my stitching lines are not smooth and flowing. However, I’m mostly happy with it, and truly amazed and relieved that I could do this. :)
Here is a photo of the whole quilt top. It measures 63 x 81 inches. The sewing machine just visible in the background is my Janome 6500P, which is what I used for the quilting. The sofa underneath the quilt is one of my most valuable quilting tools — it’s like a giant extension table! ;-)
The back is pieced from my stash — two pieces of dark green and one green floral.
Now I just have to trim the quilt edges and bind it.
I already counted the fabric for the top in a long-ago stash report, but I can count the backing and binding this week. The binding is already cut, pieced and ready to sew on.
I also bought some new fabric this week — a roll of 2.5 inch strips in pink and blue batiks put together by a local fabric store. I saw a jelly roll pattern recently that will be nice in these colours.
My Stash Report totals are:
- Used this week: 5 yards
- Used this year: 5.5 yards
- Added this week: 2.5 yards
- Added this year: 2.5 yards
- Net used: 3 yards
To see how other quilters are progressing with their Stash Busting, please visit Judy’s blog for a list of links to Stash Reports.