I didn’t make any positive progress on my pink and purple Flying Geese quilt at all this week. But, if mistakes are educational, then I have learned a lot! 😉
First, I thought I had the perfect backing for the quilt — a beautiful shade of pink in 100% cotton. Got it all basted and started the machine quilting. However, it’s a bed sheet, and now I know why quilting on bed sheets is not such a good idea — the threads are so close together, it’s difficult to quilt through. Even with a small needle (10 or 11), it still leaves a big hole in the fabric.
I was so unhappy with the results that I unpicked two hours’ worth of free motion quilting and undid the basting.
Then I found another length of regular quilting fabric in my stash that was a good match for the colours, but I didn’t have enough. There were two others that I thought would make a good pieced backing using the instructions Mary Johnson wrote for HeartStrings, but I didn’t have enough of those, either. Aaarrrggghhh!
Finally the light dawned on me to cut the quilting fabrics into 10.5 inch squares and piece them together patchwork fashion to make a backing by one of the methods used by Bonnie Hunter of Quiltville. That will give a good variety of prints and use up even more stash. I’ll probably start that tomorrow.
Haven’t finished any other projects to count in my totals this week, but I did start working on a UFO for Judy’s February Quiltathon and hope to finish that today.
Totals for Week 7 are:
- Bought this week: 0
- Bought year-to-date: 9.75 yards
- Used this week: 0
- Used year-to-date: 10.75
- Used (net): 1 yard
To see how others are doing in their Stashbusting this week, please visit Judy Laquidara’s blog, Patchwork Times.