Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Archive for the ‘Recycled Furnishings’ Category

My first recycled bath mat has been so popular with my husband and daughter that I’ve had to make a second one for the other bathroom.

I hate to throw away anything that still has an ounce of use left in it.  This was an old and faded mat, still usable but not very pretty.

I used the flip and sew method, as with the previous mat.  The instructions are here in a little tutorial.

Here is the mat covered with strips and trimmed.

To make the mat sturdier and more durable, I straight-stitched down the centre of each strip and used a machine embroidery stitch down each seam line.  Then I bound the edges with some red bias binding left over from a Christmas project.

Here is a view of the back, which is just thick cotton.  I wouldn’t like to sew on a rubber-backed mat because it would probably harm my sewing machine, and I don’t like the way the rubbery stuff feels to the touch.

Here is the new finished mat…

…and the original mat, which is now 9 months old, still in service and looking fine, even after weekly trips through the washing machine and tumble dryer.

Happy Quilting!

Read Full Post »

I had a little bath mat that was looking kind of sad and threadbare.   I could have thrown it out or given it to the dogs, but I’m on this recycling kick lately, so I decided to make something with it.   It is now a “New and Improved” Bath Mat!

Here’s the mat in its original state, with assorted fabric strips from my scrap bin.

Mat1

Using the bath mat as a foundation, I started piecing the strips from the centre of the mat and worked out toward the edges, using the “flip and sew” method.

Mat-first strips

And I just kept going, adding more strips…..

Mat-more strips

…until the mat was totally covered.

Mat-strips sewn down

I was sewing through a very thick, looped cotton bath mat, so I used my strongest, most powerful sewing machine, my Janome 6500P.   This is the machine I use for quilting, and I could never say enough good things about it.  It’s a wonderful machine.  🙂

Mat-machine

Then I trimmed around the shape of the bath mat…

Mat-trimming around

…and it looked like this.  Nigel the dog was helping me again.  😉

Mat after trimming

I bound the edges with bias tape, and then it was done!  🙂

Mat-finished

This project used approximately 1/2 yard of fabric, so my Stash Report for Week 43 is:

  • Bought this week:  0
  • Used this week:  0.5 yard
  • Bought Year-to-Date:  24.875
  • Used Year-to-Date:  85.375
  • Net Used:  60.5 yards

Please visit Judy’s blog, Patchwork Times, to see how others are doing with stashbusting this week.

Happy Sewing!

Read Full Post »

One of the hinges broke off my laundry hamper the other day. It looked tacky and was awkward to use with a flappy lid, so I decided to repair it today.  In the old days, I would have thrown it away and bought a new laundry hamper.   But not now, not in the new age of thrift.

First I removed the broken hinge and its mate with wire cutters.  Then I cut six equal lengths of sturdy parcel string for each new “hinge” and threaded them as a group between the bamboo framework and the woven material on the lid and the hamper body.   I tied the groups of string around the back, first in a square knot, and then with a granny knot on top of that.

Laundry hamper3

Laundry hamper2

I didn’t want to cut the tie ends too short in case the knots worked loose, but the long dangling ends didn’t look very pretty.  In a fanciful moment, I decided to decorate the string ends with some leftover jewelry-making beads from our craft box.  Ta-da!  My husband said it looks nicer now than before.  And I saved about £11 by not having to buy a new hamper.   🙂

Laundry hamper1

Happy Sewing!

Read Full Post »