Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Posts Tagged ‘bath mat’

What bliss!  I’ve been sewing every single day this week!  I have now finished 58 patriotic blocks, and I made a second recycled bath mat.  I also did some mending, cut out a pair of pyjamas for my little girl and started basting a lap quilt that’s been waiting in my stack of UFO tops.

My Grandmother’s Flower Garden blocks have also seen the light of day this week.  There are many more flowers than I remembered!

When I was playing with all the little flowers yesterday, I fell in love with this project all over again.  It really would be nice to finish it into something useful and/or decorative instead of smushing it back into that shoebox for another 14 years.  😉

I’ve been having difficulty doing hand sewing lately because of arthritis in my thumb, but I despair at abandoning this project, so I’ve come up with a plan!   If I work on it for 15 minutes at a time just a few days a week, I could probably make fairly good progress over the course of a year.  I’ll put this at the top of my Goals List for 2011.

For my Stash Report, here is some new fabric from America.  I bought this set of 7 hand-dyed fat quarters from my Internet friend Vicki.  Aren’t the colours pretty?

Here are my totals:

Bought this week:  1.75
Bought year-to-date:  24 yards
Gift fabric received:  30 yards
Total fabric in:  54 yards
Used this week:  .75 yards
Used year-to-date:  34.5 yards
Total (net):  -19.50

Please visit Judy’s blog to see how other quilters are getting along with their stashbusting this week.

Happy Quilting!

Advertisements

Read Full Post »

I had a little bath mat that was looking kind of sad and threadbare.   I could have thrown it out or given it to the dogs, but I’m on this recycling kick lately, so I decided to make something with it.   It is now a “New and Improved” Bath Mat!

Here’s the mat in its original state, with assorted fabric strips from my scrap bin.

Mat1

Using the bath mat as a foundation, I started piecing the strips from the centre of the mat and worked out toward the edges, using the “flip and sew” method.

Mat-first strips

And I just kept going, adding more strips…..

Mat-more strips

…until the mat was totally covered.

Mat-strips sewn down

I was sewing through a very thick, looped cotton bath mat, so I used my strongest, most powerful sewing machine, my Janome 6500P.   This is the machine I use for quilting, and I could never say enough good things about it.  It’s a wonderful machine.  🙂

Mat-machine

Then I trimmed around the shape of the bath mat…

Mat-trimming around

…and it looked like this.  Nigel the dog was helping me again.  😉

Mat after trimming

I bound the edges with bias tape, and then it was done!  🙂

Mat-finished

This project used approximately 1/2 yard of fabric, so my Stash Report for Week 43 is:

  • Bought this week:  0
  • Used this week:  0.5 yard
  • Bought Year-to-Date:  24.875
  • Used Year-to-Date:  85.375
  • Net Used:  60.5 yards

Please visit Judy’s blog, Patchwork Times, to see how others are doing with stashbusting this week.

Happy Sewing!

Read Full Post »