Posts Tagged ‘HeartStrings Quilt Project’

Last week, I cut lots of 5-inch squares from stash fabrics.  I also found a box full of 5-inch charms that I started collecting years ago.

This week I am sewing them into Puss in the Corner blocks, which is a quick and easy pattern.  Each block uses four 5-inch squares.

Since I am using 5-inch squares, the blocks are coming out at 9 inches unfinished, which yields an 8 1/2-inch finished block.  That’s an awkward size to use, so I have trimmed off 1/4 inch all the way around to end up with 8 1/2 inches unfinished, or 8 inches finished.

I don’t like wasting even that tiny bit of fabric because it will eventually add up to a lot, so next time I’ll try to be more exact with my maths.  In the meantime, however, I’ll have some pretty blocks for my HeartStrings projects.

I think it would also be fun to make these blocks in an all-scrappy version, using 2 or 2 1/2 inch strips from my scrap bins.

Quilting Arts Forum and Quiltzine both have free patterns online for the Puss in the Corner block.

To see what other quilters have on their Design Walls today, please visit Judy’s blog.

Happy Quilting!

Read Full Post »

The HeartStrings Quilt Project group is making Quilt As You Go (QAYG) blocks for Jan MacFadyen of Victoria, Australia, during the months of March and April.

Jan is a member of HeartStrings, and she will be finishing these blocks into quilts for Victoria, Australia Bushfire survivors.   Volunteers estimate approximately 5000 quilts will be needed for this project.  Jan has two blogs with photos and complete details on her work, including her postal address if you can send her anything to help with this project:



She also has an excellent two-part Tutorial on the method used for constructing these blocks from strips of fabric (strings) and scrap pieces of batting.

Part 1:


Part 2:


Here are some of the QAYG blocks that I have made for Jan so far.  I’ve finished 23 blocks, and need to make 12 more to have enough for one entire quilt.  These blocks will be for men’s and teenage boys’ quilts.  My husband helped me choose the fabrics to make sure they are suitably “manly.”  😉


Here is my Stash Report for Week 12:

  • Bought          0
  • Used               5  yds (for QAYG blocks – fronts and backs)
  • YTD Bought    10.75 yds
  • YTD Used       72.5 yds

Happy Sewing!

Read Full Post »

I finished all my Quilts of Valor pillowcases today and used up almost every bit of patriotic fabric in my stash!  There is nothing left now but one shoe box of strings, which will probably find their way into a string quilt later on.  I had enough fabric for 15 standard size pillowcases.  Patriotic fabric was not a requirement for the Pillowcase Party, but I had a huge stash of red-white-and-blue and thought this would be a great use for it.  I had a wonderful time doing this — I learned a new skill, cleared some space in my fabric cupboard, and got to join in with the online group HeartStrings Quilt Project in a team effort for a worthy cause.



Read Full Post »