Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Posts Tagged ‘pink and purple quilt’

I didn’t make any positive progress on my pink and purple Flying Geese quilt at all this week.  But, if mistakes are educational, then I have learned a lot!  😉

First, I thought I had the perfect backing for the quilt — a beautiful shade of pink in 100% cotton.    Got it all basted and started the machine quilting.  However, it’s a bed sheet, and now I know why quilting on bed sheets is not such a good idea — the threads are so close together, it’s difficult to quilt through.  Even with a small needle (10 or 11), it still leaves a big hole in the fabric.

I was so unhappy with the results that I unpicked two hours’ worth of free motion quilting and undid the basting.

Then I found another length of regular quilting fabric in my stash that was a good match for the colours, but I didn’t have enough.  There were two others that I thought would make a good pieced backing using the instructions Mary Johnson wrote for HeartStrings, but I didn’t have enough of those, either.   Aaarrrggghhh!

Finally the light dawned on me to cut the quilting fabrics into 10.5 inch squares and piece them together patchwork fashion to make a backing by one of the methods used by Bonnie Hunter of Quiltville.  That will give a good variety of prints and use up even more stash.  I’ll probably start that tomorrow.

Haven’t finished any other projects to count in my totals this week, but I did start working on a UFO for Judy’s February Quiltathon and hope to finish that today.

Totals for Week 7 are:

  • Bought this week:  0
  • Bought year-to-date:  9.75 yards
  • Used this week:  0
  • Used year-to-date:  10.75
  • Used (net):  1 yard

To see how others are doing in their Stashbusting this week, please visit Judy Laquidara’s blog, Patchwork Times.

Happy Quilting!

Advertisements

Read Full Post »