Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Posts Tagged ‘Quilting and Sewing’

My “new” sewing machine, purchased on eBay, arrived today.  I have named her Sylvia.  She is a Singer 507, and she was made in 1975.  She is very similar to the sewing machine I had in America before I moved to England.

Sylvia came with a nicely-done instruction manual, which someone scanned from an original and printed on a colour printer, then spiral-bound.  She also has a genuine Singer foot pedal and a new re-wired electric plug.  My little daughter and I sewed on her all afternoon, and she works great.

Here are some photos, because I just have to show her off!  She’s so beautiful…

Happy Sewing!

Singer 507 Sylvia

Singer 507 accessories

Advertisements

Read Full Post »

The fabrics for my Bears in the Art Museum quilt top are all from stash, but I didn’t have a nice backing, so I just had to buy some fabric this week.   My husband helped me choose this fabric.  It feels very soft and luxurious, and I think it will look pretty.  It’s called “Imprints,” designed for the Balson Hercules Group.

bears-backing-fabric

I also started working on Judy Laquidara’s new stash project.  She is doing her quilt in bright colours, but she said we could use any colours we like.  Mine is going to be all blue and yellow.  I’ve been dreaming of ways to use my collection of blues and yellows together, and this pattern will be perfect.  I have finished 16 Flying Geese blocks already.  Judy recommended Patti Anderson’s method for No-Waste Flying Geese, and I think it is brilliant and so easy to do.

blue-yellow-stash-project

Since it’s time for the Weekly Stash Report, I’ve also been thinking about ways of reporting stash usage.  I’ve changed my mind again about how and when to count fabric used.  I think Judy Laquidara’s method is really the most sensible for me (actually counting it when I use it — otherwise I will forget), so I am going to count my Bears fabric in this week’s stash report.  That will bring my totals for Week 16 to:

  • Bought         6 yds
  • Used            8.5 yds
  • YTD Bought    16.75 yds
  • YTD Used        76 yds

Happy Sewing!

Read Full Post »

My Bears in the Farmhouse quilt top, now renamed “Bears in the Art Museum,” is finished!

bears-finished-top1

This project was part of Judy Laquidara‘s Quilt Along.  Finished quilt tops by other participants can be viewed here.  Judy said about 300 participants started the project, and more than 150 carried on through the final step.

Thank you, Judy, for this beautiful pattern.  I’ve learned some new techniques and a more efficient method of assembling a quilt top.  This is also the most technically perfect quilt top I’ve ever made — and I had to unpick a few seams and redo them to make sure of that!  😉

It was really good fun, too.   🙂

Happy Sewing!

Read Full Post »

I’m making progress on my Bears in the Farmhouse quilt from Judy Laquidara’s Quilt Along.  The half-square borders are on all the way around, and I have started on the second orange border.

bears-borders2

bears-borders1

I’m obsessed with this quilt.  I want to work on it all the hours there are, but you know how families are…..they are always wanting to eat, and to wear clean clothes.  😉  Bless ’em.

While I’ve been working on these borders, I’ve been thinking about how I want to quilt this top.  I’ve seen a pattern that I like in Charlene C. Frable’s book, Quilt as Desired, and I’ve been practicing.  quilt-as-desired1However, my focus fabric is a bit busy, so a plain meandering pattern might be better.  We’ll see.  I’ll be doing the quilting on my domestic sewing machine, a Janome 6500 P.  I’ve also decided to call my quilt, “Bears in the Art Museum,” since my focus fabric is a design inspired by the work of Paul Klee.

My Stash Report for Week 14 has only changed by 1/4 yard used, which was binding on a UFO that I finished for the Stashbuster UFO Challenge.  I’m waiting until the Bears in the Farmhouse quilt is finished before I count that fabric.

  • Bought     0 yds
  • Used       1/4 yd
  • YTD Bought 10.75 yds
  • YTD Used 67.75 yds

Happy Sewing!

Read Full Post »

I’ve finished my second UFO for the Stashbuster UFO Challenge for 2009.

It was originally planned as a wallhanging for our old house, and I started it in 2000 with blocks and scraps left over from the larger quilt featured in my homepage banner.  We don’t really have a good wall for it to hang in this house, and my husband and daughter both said they liked it better as a table topper, so…table topper it is!

ufo2-finished

The quilting was done on my domestic sewing machine.  I drew the motif on the fabric with a white pencil using the stencil as a guide, and modified it to use only a single line of stitching instead of the double line.  I thought the double line of stitching might be too heavy for this small project.  It measures approximately 31 inches square.

Now I get to report it on the Stashbuster list as a Finish, just in time for the end of the first quarter of the year!

Happy Sewing!

Read Full Post »

step-4-complete1

We are almost finished now.  🙂

Happy Sewing!

Read Full Post »

Older Posts »