Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Posts Tagged ‘scrap project’

I had a little bath mat that was looking kind of sad and threadbare.   I could have thrown it out or given it to the dogs, but I’m on this recycling kick lately, so I decided to make something with it.   It is now a “New and Improved” Bath Mat!

Here’s the mat in its original state, with assorted fabric strips from my scrap bin.

Mat1

Using the bath mat as a foundation, I started piecing the strips from the centre of the mat and worked out toward the edges, using the “flip and sew” method.

Mat-first strips

And I just kept going, adding more strips…..

Mat-more strips

…until the mat was totally covered.

Mat-strips sewn down

I was sewing through a very thick, looped cotton bath mat, so I used my strongest, most powerful sewing machine, my Janome 6500P.   This is the machine I use for quilting, and I could never say enough good things about it.  It’s a wonderful machine.  🙂

Mat-machine

Then I trimmed around the shape of the bath mat…

Mat-trimming around

…and it looked like this.  Nigel the dog was helping me again.  😉

Mat after trimming

I bound the edges with bias tape, and then it was done!  🙂

Mat-finished

This project used approximately 1/2 yard of fabric, so my Stash Report for Week 43 is:

  • Bought this week:  0
  • Used this week:  0.5 yard
  • Bought Year-to-Date:  24.875
  • Used Year-to-Date:  85.375
  • Net Used:  60.5 yards

Please visit Judy’s blog, Patchwork Times, to see how others are doing with stashbusting this week.

Happy Sewing!

Read Full Post »