Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Posts Tagged ‘UFO finish’

I have half a dozen active projects on the go right now.  So what did I do this week?  I worked on something else.  Of course.  😉

At the supermarket, there was a basket full of fleece throws in bright colours for £2 each.  What a bargain!  I had to have a green one.  It’s a happy colour.  And when I saw it, I remembered a colourful UFO that I started several years ago.

When I got home, I hunted in all my boxes, baskets and cupboards until I found it.  It’s a pattern by M’Liss Rae Hawley called “Woven Ribbons” from her book, Fat Quarter Quilts.  The pattern was for a baby quilt, and I changed the borders and enlarged it to make it suitable for an older child.

Quiltlet2

I stitched it down to the fleece throw without batting and made a snuggly quiltlet for my little girl.   It’s not really quilted —  more like top-stitched.  I used some YLI quilting cotton in variegated crayon colours that was left over from my daughter’s birthday quilt (featured in the banner above).

Quiltlet1

And, because I am determined to use up as much as possible from my entire sewing stash, I bound it with some purple bias tape I’ve had for a long time.  The price tag on the package says “Cloth World,” so you know it’s been around for a while.  😉  I used Judy Laquidara’s method of machine finishing the binding, which worked a treat.

Quiltlet3

My daughter is happy because she has something new.  I am happy to have a quick finish!  I’ve finished a UFO and now I can count it in my Stash Report.  It’s also given me a sense of accomplishment and re-charged my batteries to keep going on the other projects I have in the works.  🙂

This quilt top used approximately 1-3/4 yards.  I’m not counting the fleece since it was purchased as a finished item rather than yard goods.  My totals for this week are:

  • Bought  0
  • Used  1.75 yards
  • Year to Date Bought  24.875 yards
  • Year to Date Used  81.75

Happy Sewing!

Read Full Post »

I’ve finished my second UFO for the Stashbuster UFO Challenge for 2009.

It was originally planned as a wallhanging for our old house, and I started it in 2000 with blocks and scraps left over from the larger quilt featured in my homepage banner.  We don’t really have a good wall for it to hang in this house, and my husband and daughter both said they liked it better as a table topper, so…table topper it is!

ufo2-finished

The quilting was done on my domestic sewing machine.  I drew the motif on the fabric with a white pencil using the stencil as a guide, and modified it to use only a single line of stitching instead of the double line.  I thought the double line of stitching might be too heavy for this small project.  It measures approximately 31 inches square.

Now I get to report it on the Stashbuster list as a Finish, just in time for the end of the first quarter of the year!

Happy Sewing!

Read Full Post »